Siomai

We've been craving to eat Siomai/Shumai (a type of traditional Chinese dumpling) for the longest time and somehow store-bought ones and those from restaurants did nothing to hit the spot. Deep inside, what we were looking for was the taste of my Mom-in-law's Special Home-made Siomai. My daughter and hubby requested for me to cook it for them, and I grabbed the chance to do it.

I tweaked this recipe by using ground chicken breast instead of ground pork. Also, I omitted the use of seasonings like Maggi Magic Sarap which my Mom-in-law usually uses. I can honestly say that her recipe is still the best. But this one is not so bad. My son literally devoured two bowls of Siomai served with hot steamed rice and toyomansi!


Ingredients:

1/2 kg Ground Beef
1/2 kg Ground Chicken Breast
1/4 kg Shrimps, peeled and diced
1 large onion, minced
1 head of garlic, minced
1 large singkamas, grated
2 medium sized carrots, grated
2.5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 packs wanton/molo wrapper
6 eggs

Dipping sauce:

Juice from 3-4 pieces. of Calamansi
Soy Sauce


Siomai steaming! Ready to be served!


1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the shrimp) together and mix well.

2. Wrap about a spoonful of the meat mixture in the wanton/molo wrapper (I prefer the round ones) and top it with the shrimp.

3. Prepare the steamer and steam the siomai for 30 minutes. Steaming time can range from 20-30 minutes depending on the size.

4. For the dipping sauce, combine together soy sauce (any brand) and the juice from 3-4 pieces of Calamansi. Add chilies if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts