Champorado (home-made) with Tuyo

The smell of Champorado and Tuyo in the morning is always a welcome wake-up call. I like the rich chocolate taste of the sticky rice mixed in with milk and sugar. We love pairing it up with Tuyo (dried fish) as the saltiness balances out the sweetness of the porridge. It can be served hot or cold. My kids prefer it cold with milk, so I always cook a big batch to make sure there will be some leftovers for them to enjoy- for their midday or afternoon merienda. I like it hot with a lot of milk. Definitely warms up my heart as I remember my Mom and my Lola cook it up for me!




Ingredients:

2 cups Malagkit Rice
1 cup Cocoa Powder (80 grams Ricoa Breakfast Cocoa)
1 cup white sugar or more to suit your taste
Evaporated Milk / Condensed Milk / Powdered Milk
Tuyo (dried fish)
Water 

(This recipe is good for more or less 10 people.)

Wash Malagkit Rice and soak in water. In a large pot boil 5 cups of water, Add the cocoa powder and sugar then mix until smooth. Add the Malagkit Rice. Let it boil, stirring continuously, to prevent rice from sticking. As the rice cooks, it will thicken up as it absorbs the water, add more water about 3-5 more cups to thin it out. Add more water to achieve desired consistency. Simmer the Champorado while stirring continuously until Malagkit Rice softens and thoroughly cooks. 

Heat up a separate pan, add cooking oil, and gently fry the dried fish (Tuyo) until golden brown.

Serve Champorado in a small bowl. Add milk. Top with Tuyo. Eat up and enjoy! :)



Comments

Popular Posts